gluten free toasted muesli
This is one of my favourite recipes from my thermo cookbook miniseries super healthy. Maybe it's the beautiful photo?! Or maybe it's because this simple recipe makes a huge batch that can be kept in a big jar on the bench ready for speedy breakfasts or snacks on the go. I am all about batch cooking when time permits, and then reaping the rewards when times are busier! This recipe is also a real winner for anyone avoiding gluten, as muesli usually always relies on gluten-containing oats as the base ingredient.FIND OUR MORE ABOUT THE BOOK
+ gluten free
+ dairy free
makes 20 serves
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean
150g raw almonds
100g dried apricots, halved
100g maple syrup
50g coconut oil
150g quinoa flakes
150g rolled brown rice
100g pumpkin seeds
100g coconut flakes
50g goji berries
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Place cinnamon and vanilla in TM bowl, mill for 20 seconds, speed 9.
- Add almonds, macadamias and apricots, pulse 3-6 times on turbo speed, until roughly chopped.
- Add maple syrup and coconut oil, heat for 3 minutes, 50°C, reverse speed 2, or until melted.
- Add quinoa flakes, rolled rice, sultanas, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes and flaxseeds. Mix for 30 seconds, 50°C, reverse speed 3, assisting with spatula.
- Spread evenly across 2 lined baking trays. Toast in oven for 11 minutes, then mix and continue to toast for a further 7 minutes or until golden. Allow mixture to cool, then mix through goji berries.
Serve muesli with yoghurt, nut mylk or fruit.
Tip: Store in an airtight container in the fridge to keep nuts and seeds fresh. Quinoa flakes offer a gluten-free alternative to oatmeal for breakfasts and baking. You can purchase them from most health food stores or order them online.