Individual Dark Chocolate Cakes from Everyday Thermo Cooking
…that just happen to be vegan! These are rich, fudgy and delicious – it’s almost impossible to believe there’s no eggs, butter, milk or even chocolate. My sister Ellen thought all her Christmases had come at once with this recipe. Kudos to Nigella for the inspiration.shop the book
+ dairy free
1 vanilla bean, halved
200g brown sugar
220g plain flour
60g cocoa powder
2 tsp instant coffee granules
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp fine salt
300g boiling water
60g macadamia oil
20g dark rum
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Place vanilla and sugar in TC bowl, mill for 15 seconds, speed 10.
- Add flour, cocoa, coffee granules, bicarbonate of soda and salt, sift for 5 seconds, speed 6.
- Add water, oil, rum and vinegar, mix for 30 seconds, speed 3. Scrape down sides and base of TC bowl.
- Mix for a further 10 seconds, speed 3, or until combined and smooth.
- Divide mixture evenly between 12 silicone bar moulds (approx. 90ml each). Bang moulds lightly on bench to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted just comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before pushing up from the bottom of the moulds and removing cakes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Serve as is, or frost with chocolate ganache.
Variation: For a nut free cake, replace macadamia oil with any light tasting oil such as coconut, grapeseed, sunflower or extra light olive oil. Butter can also be used, however the cakes will no longer be dairy free or vegan.SHOP THE BOOK SHOP THE MOULDS